The discourse we have surrounding rape makes me uncomfortable.
This is probs gonna be triggering when it comes to rape, and possibly a few *isms too.
The main thing I see people talking about when they talk about rape is how nobody deserves it whether they flirt with a person or have short skirts or whatever else. And this is important and true and all that, don’t get me wrong.
But, can we just for a little while acknowledge that some of us have our rapes ignored not because of our clothing or our promiscuity or our previous relationship with the rapist, but because we’re considered unrapeable, because we’re seen as repulsive.
I’m talking about fat people, disabled people, trans people, especially trans women… I’ve heard a lot of POC women say they get the same attitude from people, especially if the rapist is white.
I think we need to seriously address the intersectionality that surrounds rape. The discourse I see focuses on the rapes and the kind of rape culture that affects white, abled cis women. We need to talk about how First Nations women make up a high percentage of rape victims in the US. We need to talk about how an astonishing number of developmentally and physically disabled people are raped compared to abled people. We need to talk about how so few people think fat women get raped because so few people think anyone would want to have sex with them. We need to talk about how a fuckton of cis feminist lesbians see trans women saying they’re lesbians too is a form of rape culture and how undeniably fucked up that is.
We need to understand that privileges exist in rape culture too.
- noneofthisisplausible likes this
- aguhon reblogged this from cosmicrubric
- likeasexmachine reblogged this from sugaryumyum
- cosmicrubric reblogged this from feministsuperpowers
- justlistentoreason reblogged this from feministsuperpowers
- sheofthetwohorizons likes this
- utterlyfubar likes this
- kimurrr reblogged this from sugaryumyum
- kimurrr likes this
- gingersolidarity reblogged this from feministsuperpowers
- feministsuperpowers reblogged this from sugaryumyum
- sugaryumyum reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- theperksofbeingaroxi reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- itllbevery likes this
- cufats likes this
- theanimalnamesofplants likes this
- raspberryfeministbarbie likes this
- selfhatingsupervillain reblogged this from nerd-bird
- nerd-bird reblogged this from tal9000
- sententiola likes this
- wilde-revolution likes this
- tamaraleach reblogged this from venatus
- butterflyspit reblogged this from thatfeministwithglasses
- venatus reblogged this from thatfeministwithglasses
- shallanelprin reblogged this from thatfeministwithglasses and added:
- littlemxswitch likes this
- btgwpersonalblog reblogged this from thatfeministwithglasses
- potashium reblogged this from thatfeministwithglasses
- thatfeministwithglasses reblogged this from fluffyfemme
- fluffyfemme reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- marchoftigers likes this
- creepycatgirl likes this
- paintingarevolution reblogged this from campdracula5eva and added:
- paintingarevolution likes this
- misandristscum reblogged this from paradife-loft
- paradife-loft reblogged this from tal9000
- void-symphony likes this
- thecoffeebreaklife likes this
- invisiblyqueer likes this
- ladystonehugs likes this
- insignificantuser reblogged this from tal9000
- southcarolinaboy likes this
- allecto likes this
- tal9000 reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- tal9000 likes this
- glitterthighs likes this
- norma-desmond likes this
- girl-in-a-wheelchair likes this
- secretsofthedisabled likes this
- dirtybrian likes this