Degrees of Fatness
I absolutely love you all and have no problem with you identifying as fat (as you are fat and it’s hella awesome) but please, for the love of all that is holy, stop acting as if your size 12/14/16 body has the same mental, physical, spatial, and societal issues as my size 32 does. You don’t understand. And it’s fine that you don’t understand! It doesn’t make you a bad person! As long as you treat me with respect and dignity and get that this world is fucked up in varying ways, I still think you’re awesome!
You not being able to understand or feel what it’s like to live in a 300/400/500 pound body doesn’t reflect on you as a person. But you not taking into consideration that someone in a 300/400/500 pound body has different issues and difficulties than you…well that kinda does make you a bad person. Because you’re not stepping outside of yourself long enough to examine how different degrees of otherness exist and work.
We’re all fighting our own battles. And while our battles are both on the field of Living as Fat…you have more ammunition than I do. In this society, in this world, you have advantages that I don’t. Your degree of fatness is more accepted by society than mine is. And, again, I stress that it doesn’t make you a bad person or a fatphobic person or a bad fatty. It just means you have privileges that I don’t.
You’re more likely to receive a job and make more money. You’re more likely to be treated well by doctors. You’re more likely to fit into desks and be able to squeeze through tight spaces. It’s easier for you to find clothes that you can fit into, like, and afford. You’re more likely to be able to adopt children and less likely to have your food choices watched and judged. You’re less likely to be insulted, mocked, harassed, or attacked. Hell, you’re even more likely to be taken seriously when you talk about fat/body acceptance!
I love you. And the privileges you have are based on nothing that you’ve done or gained intentionally. It’s just the way the cards were dealt. Again, your privilege doesn’t make you a bad person. But if you read these words and your response is to tell me how NONONOIHAVEITBADTOOLETMETELLYOUHOW… Well. Then you might consider rereading this and thinking about what you need to do differently in order to further the cause of acceptance and the ending of oppression.
Your privilege doesn’t make you a bad person. Refusing to acknowledge it does.
ETA: I’m sorry but I have to add this.
A 200 pound person is treated differently than a 500 pound person. It honestly never occurred to me that that would be argued. If a 300 pound weight difference didn’t impact how someone was treated? Fatphobia wouldn’t even exist, now would it?
The way society treats and judges and shits on 200 pound people is bullshit. If you’re towards the smaller side of fat, your struggles are real and they suck and they need to stop! And I will yell and scream for your right to own and control your body and to be treated with dignity and respect with my dying breath. But our struggles in this world are different. And acknowledging that doesn’t diminish your pain or your feelings. It just fucking validates mine.
- getyoursentenceshere likes this
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- wily-caryatid likes this
- imnotevilimjustwrittenthatway likes this
- shandrafacekillah reblogged this from sugaryumyum
- mincinno likes this
- littledoor likes this
- theeyecollects likes this
- cabbagepatchqueer likes this
- bunnika reblogged this from mistressnonny and added:
- gwydionmisha reblogged this from faysbook
- gwydionmisha likes this
- recreationalsociologist reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- recreationalsociologist likes this
- waluigiegg likes this
- decisive-emu-victory reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- blissmanifesto likes this
- journeytobetterdays reblogged this from faysbook
- faysbook reblogged this from lapocketrocket
- thegreatnessideserve reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- bencourts likes this
- ourhumanbody reblogged this from politicalpositivefeminist
- leopardchangingspots reblogged this from kylathegreat and added:
- kiddotrue reblogged this from heyfatchick
- kiddotrue likes this
- donttellmewahttodo likes this
- greengrassandhightides likes this
- rubyshimmer likes this
- nocontinuum likes this
- cronewardbound likes this
- quietlyhaunted likes this
- lilbarb likes this
- frompastmetofutureme reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- linshrub likes this
- listofnow likes this
- math-erin reblogged this from sugaryumyum and added:
- jaclynxhyde reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- pandaemonaeum reblogged this from trixibelle
- maggiemunkee reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- trenchantashell likes this
- nessieorbust likes this
- darlinglisa likes this
- disastrocat likes this
- misandristkilljoy likes this
- alwaysaspencer likes this
- ifshehadwings reblogged this from adrowningwoman
- adrowningwoman reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- awritersruminations likes this
- millysoliloquy reblogged this from fatbodypolitics
- youcanstillcatchmedancinginit reblogged this from fatbodypolitics